V20: methuselahs rising
The City of Memel
Home of the Kalum Priesthood
After single handedly destroying the Kindred threat in the city, Nisaba claimed this tucked away citadel in the Baltic as a safe haven for the Kalum priesthood. Memel works perfectly as a safe haven for the Collective. This city is afforded one entrance with a massively fortified city behind its tall walls. The Kalum will use this city as a training facility for the Oracles of the Shin’ar. The Mudutu Temple will survive as a library and inventory of all history known to the Collective. With their Kish sorcery, the history of the planet will be protected from the ravages of time. The scribes of the Temple of Mudutu are revered as the most noble of the Kalum priesthood.
Nisaba and Sargon travel through time to 1435 AD, where they are tasked to aid a Brujah named Tyler. A powerful Ventrue called Hardistad wants to unite the weak blooded and become the puppet masters of human society—these children no longer respect their elders and therefore must suffer for it.
The Teutonic Knights built a castle in the *Pilsāts Land of the Curonians and named it Memelburg; later the name was shortened to Memel. From 1252–1923 and from 1939–1945, the town and city was officially named Memel. Due to political changes between 1923 and 1939, both names were in official use; since 1945 the Lithuanian name of Klaipėda is used.
The names Memelburg and Memel are found in most written sources from the 13th century onwards, while Klaipėda is found in Lithuania-related sources since the 15th century. The first time the city was mentioned as Caloypede in the letter of Vytautas in 1413,2 for the second time in the negotiation documents of 1420 as Klawppeda,3 and for the third time in the Treaty of Melno of 1422 as Cleupeda. According to Samogitian folk etymology, the name Klaipėda refers to the boggy terrain of the town (klaidyti=obstruct and pėda=foot). Most likely the name is of Curonian origin and means “even ground”: “klais/klait” (flat, open, free) and “ped” (sole of the foot, ground).
The lower reaches of the Neman River were named either *Mēmele or *Mēmela by Scalovians and local Curonian inhabitants. In the Latvian Curonian language it means mute, silent (memelis, mimelis, mēms). This name was adopted by speakers of German and also chosen for the new city founded further away at the lagoon